PBXes » English » Feature Requests »
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dpc

Registration Date: 01.01.1970
There's a way to use Skype with pbxes premium account? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

hi guys there's a way to use Skype with pbxes premium account?

13.06.2007 19:34 dpctech is offline Search for Posts by dpctech Add dpctech to your Buddy List
Dia
Premium Account

Registration Date: 03.03.2006

Skype justification? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

Skype is using a proprietary protocol which is not based on SIP, H.323 or IAX. It is not currently supported in PBXes.

For it to be supported, you would need to run a PC application in order for it to function. That would require running your PC in order to use the phone.

With an abundance of providers offering SIP trunks, why would you select to use Skype?

15.06.2007 01:03 Diafora is offline Search for Posts by Diafora Add Diafora to your Buddy List
dpc

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

Because Skype has better audio quality and the majority of people (customers) use it.

Can you suggest me another sip provider good enough and with a unique number (free customer numbers or similar)?

15.06.2007 10:05 dpctech is offline Search for Posts by dpctech Add dpctech to your Buddy List
yge
Grünschnabel

Registration Date: 22.12.2006

Lampe Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

Zitat:
Originally posted by Diafora
Skype is using a proprietary protocol which is not based on SIP, H.323 or IAX. It is not currently supported in PBXes.

But now it's possible. And I'm willing to pay for this, if Pascal would implement it.

http://www.yeastar.com/siskype/FunctionDetails.asp

21.06.2007 16:53 ygeffens is offline Search for Posts by ygeffens Add ygeffens to your Buddy List
Dia
Premium Account

Registration Date: 03.03.2006

Skype-link feature considerations Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

dpctech don't get me wrong. I am not disagreeing with you, on the popularity of Skype, or on the better voice quality in the majority of the calls.

These are the advantages of an optimized proprietary solution, such as Skype. The price we pay for such optimization is the lack of compatibility with anything else out there.

As I mentioned in my original reply there have been multiple solutions to achieve this for some time, including these:
http://www.nch.com.au/skypetosip/
http://www.chanskype.com/
http://www.rsdevs.com/psgw.shtml

All of them require running an application on your PC, which should be in top shape for the interconnection to work properly. That in addition to the availability of a good Internet connection, which is a prerequisite for any VoIP call.

Having said that, the primary reason most of us have chosen a hosted PBX platform over our own TrixBox, is to avoid running Asterisk on our PCs, maintaining it across power outages, unreliable domestic broadband connections, applying updates and security fixes etc. What Pascal is doing is a full time occupation.

Now considering that, for every inbound Skype call to properly ring your phone, as well as for every outgoing call towards a Skype user, your PC at home will have to fulfill the role of a dedicated gateway. This implies that, every user of the Skype-link feature, has to assume the burden of troubleshooting and supporting it, over and above a mere "it doesn't work" post in this forum, since the PC will be physically in his or her house.

If the above is an acceptable proposition, then Pascal needs to weigh in on whether it can be added as a feature in PBXes. So whoever is interested for this, should post a message.

22.06.2007 17:37 Diafora is offline Search for Posts by Diafora Add Diafora to your Buddy List
dpc

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

I agree with you diafora. Mi request is just for customers, many of them have skype. I obviously prefer to have an ivr a not to use pc to call (I hake linksys pap and Nokia E60) but I have also to understand my customer's needs.
Let's see if we can have at least incoming calls from skype.

23.06.2007 14:53 dpctech is offline Search for Posts by dpctech Add dpctech to your Buddy List

Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to: