PBXes » English » Terminal Equipment » RE: extensions same location can't register
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
bro
Grünschnabel

Registration Date: 20.03.2007

extensions same location can't register Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

I've had one extension in different locations with no problem. But now I want to put 13 extensions in a single location that share one internet connection. I've been challenged by the boss that pbxes can't do this and I want to win that challenge.

After doing a test with only a couple of them I saw that I couldn't keep all of them connected. One or two would register but the third or fourth one couldn't and then it could but one of the other two would not, etc. changing port on one would help.

It's not a problem if they can't talk to each other because the location is small. But I do need to get them all connected and make and receive calls thru the trunks.

I'm thinking it might be a port issue but wanted to confirm. So my questions are:

- How can I keep them al registered?
- If I use different ports how many extensions can I have sharing one port?
- I also have some trunks at that location (SPA-400). port wise how do I connect that as a trunk to pbxes?

Thanks.

06.01.2010 19:21 bronder is offline Search for Posts by bronder Add bronder to your Buddy List
Dia
Premium Account

Registration Date: 03.03.2006

RE: extensions same location can't register Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

It can definitely be done, but not so easily as you expected it to be. PBXes can definitely support this setup, your broadband connection and / or router might not be able to handle it.

• What kind of broadband connection is available at your office? (Type of connection, ISP's name, upstream & downstream speeds)
• What brand and model is your router?
• What type, brand and model are your SIP UAs?
• Inquire with your ISP whether they can supply you with a pool of Public IPs, they don't have to be Static.

This is not a "light" project to setup, but is rather "intermediate" in complexity, but we have the expertise to help you out. It will take time to setup everything properly, so you might want to consider buying some support credit.

06.01.2010 20:04 Diafora is offline Search for Posts by Diafora Add Diafora to your Buddy List
bro
Grünschnabel

Registration Date: 20.03.2007

RE: extensions same location can't register Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

1) We have a 1mb DSL symetric connection provided by Amnet Honduras

2) Router/firewall is a Watguard Edge Series x50e

3) extensions are Xlite's and pap2's, trunks is a spa-400 or 4000 not sure

4) They do give us 5 public ip's to use, although currently we are using only one.

Well, purchasing the support credit is a bit complicated in chicken and egg sort of way. We need to prove that this can work before boss can commit money to it, but if we need to buy support credit they he will probably say no and look for a different solution. Maybe if you could outline what would be required to do this I could encourage him enough.

06.01.2010 21:50 bronder is offline Search for Posts by bronder Add bronder to your Buddy List
Dia
Premium Account

Registration Date: 03.03.2006

Let's begin with the router, which is quite important. Can you please confirm that you have the WatchGuard Firebox® X Edge X50 as a router? If you do, are you aware that it has been marked as an End-of-Life product by WatchGuard?

• What version of firmware is currently running on the router?
• How many concurrent calls you expect during the normal course of a day, from the 13 extensions?
• Do the X-Lite soft-phones have their G.729 license activated? How many PAP2's are in the office?
• Will you be able to provide me with the IP and the credentials to access your router remotely?
• For testing purposes, can you connect a switch on the LAN side of the ADSL modem, and then connect the WatchGuard and all the PAP2's on it?

Finally, let me state that I understand where you are coming from, when mentioning the chicken and egg situation. On the other hand I know that your boss' level of confidence has no relation with the PBXes' ability to support 20 or more extensions in such an environment. The possible limitations are elsewhere.

Since I am almost certain it will work, if a few guidelines are followed, and a few network changes are implemented, I am willing to start the process if you can commit that a support case will be opened later on.

07.01.2010 03:25 Diafora is offline Search for Posts by Diafora Add Diafora to your Buddy List

Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to: