PBXes » English » Feature Requests » RE: asterisk / skype
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
bob

Registration Date: 01.01.1970
asterisk / skype Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

http://blogs.digium.com/2009/02/23/skype...sterisk-update/

Skype is working with digum on intergration of skype and asterisk. It's now in Beta but will be released in future.

would this be something that could be integrated into pbxes in future or maybe as an addon ?

22.06.2009 18:37 bobmats is offline Search for Posts by bobmats Add bobmats to your Buddy List
Dia
Premium Account

Registration Date: 03.03.2006

RE: asterisk / skype Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

This is definitely something we would look at when it is released, but it should be mentioned there will be an additional per channel cost for SfA.

The link above mentions vaguely a price-point at #9. Currently, the cost associated with a G.729 Codec License for use with Asterisk for 1 concurrent call is $10 USD. Therefore, it is highly unlikely Digium will sell an SfA channel for less than $10 USD, given its' added functionality.

It would most definitely be cheaper than some of today's solutions that require a separate server, but it will not be free either.

22.06.2009 22:53 Diafora is offline Search for Posts by Diafora Add Diafora to your Buddy List
bob

RE: asterisk / skype Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

would this be a $10 1 time license fee, per month, per year. From the link you gave it just looks like per license.

I don't think paying this once would be a problem as integration with skype and using their flatrate would be great.

24.06.2009 17:26 bobmats is offline Search for Posts by bobmats Add bobmats to your Buddy List
Dia
Premium Account

That is the price for a G.729 license to run on an Asterisk server in an office, not a hosted PBX service. How do you split the channels per account? How do you allocate a resource meant for an office PBX, to individual users of disjointed offices?

Implementing such a feature is not as easy as it sounds, when it needs to scale to let's say 20% of 26512 accounts across 7 servers. But, let's not get ahead of ourselves, since we still need to wait for Digium to release this and price it per channel.

We will find out soon enough ...

24.06.2009 22:44 Diafora is offline Search for Posts by Diafora Add Diafora to your Buddy List
bob

There is an update on this Skype For Asterisk

Would pbxes consider taking part in this test.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Dia on 08.09.2009 at 14:44.

14.08.2009 10:49 bobmats is offline Search for Posts by bobmats Add bobmats to your Buddy List
bob

Seems like the skype/asterisk plugin is available now at 66$ per channel.

Any idee if this will be added to pbxes.com as an extra option ?

If so when could you start trials.

08.09.2009 16:06 bobmats is offline Search for Posts by bobmats Add bobmats to your Buddy List
Dia
Premium Account

Well, at $66 per channel, the question is, who would want to buy it, at what price, and with what kind of limitations?

Food for thought ...

08.09.2009 23:14 Diafora is offline Search for Posts by Diafora Add Diafora to your Buddy List
bob

Is $66 per channel realy that much ?

As far as I can see it's a 1 time cost to buy. If you offer it here it's up to anyone to decide if they want to buy it or not.

I have no problem paying for it and would love to have it.

Limitation is 1 channel for that price, rest of the imfo is on the digum website. Doesn't seem to have that many limitations. What I don't know and what you guys would have to test if how much cpu time this would cost to make the call.

Seems like this is an extension many people are waiting for so why isn't pbxes just doing a trial and users can sigup for it.

10.09.2009 08:22 bobmats is offline Search for Posts by bobmats Add bobmats to your Buddy List
Dia
Premium Account

Well, $66 is not an insignificant amount either, for most people. großes Grinsen And apart from you, no-one else has chimed in, so far.

But, as I have mentioned on an earlier post, Digium's questionable licensing creates all kinds of issues for a hosted PBX like PBXes. You see on a hosted PBX, resources are shared between disjointed entities, and dedicated resources are hard to remain dedicated for a single entity.

In addition, if a server has an issue and your account needs to be moved to another server temporarily or permanently, your "Skype for Asterisk" license is tied to the IP of the original server. No floating licenses, no pooled licenses, like resources we have encountered from other providers.

And we haven't even touched the pricing chapter, since we are still discussing semi-technical issues. All this to demonstrate it's not easy to offer it, with these licensing terms and pricing, even if we want to. Let's hope they will see the error in their ways and correct it in time.

But don't despair, we will most probably test it, as soon as the reports start coming out, regarding its' performance and compatibility on large Asterisk Installations.

13.09.2009 16:35 Diafora is offline Search for Posts by Diafora Add Diafora to your Buddy List
bob

I understand the point.

Because no one else has asked for it, doesn't mean there is no demand for it. I have seen new features here that no one asked for and some of those features are more toys than really usefull.

$66 high, depends on how you see it and how you use it. For a small and medium company this will not really be a problem, for a home user, it might. t Just depends on who you are targeting as a customer.

I do understand the problems of the license being tied to and ip and that this would cause a problem when switching servers in case of a problem. This is a valid point. But things evolve and maybe there will be a solution for that also.

I will be looking forward to a test if you will be running that. If you need someone to test, you know how to find me.

14.09.2009 08:59 bobmats is offline Search for Posts by bobmats Add bobmats to your Buddy List
i-p
Super Moderator

Registration Date: 14.01.2006

Which call types would you use PBXes' skype integration for? I am asking because I don't have any skype contacts and, if I had I would simply ask them for their phone number. Do you want to be reachable under a skype name? Or are you going to use SkypeIn/Out services?

16.09.2009 11:24 i-p-tel is offline Search for Posts by i-p-tel Add i-p-tel to your Buddy List
bob

Skype offers some nice flat rates per month incudling 10.000 minutes to fixed phone in many countries.

Unlimited world 40 countries is like 11 euro per month.

So I would use it mainly for making skypeout calls to use this serivice to get a good flat rate.

The are some other sip based flat rates but non offer a this low monthly price. There are offeres for home uses but limited minutes and business offers are a lot higher.

I might also use it for receiving incoming calls under a skype name, nice for support on a webshop. This will not really be that much so most will be skype out calls.

The skypename to receive calls would than also be the same account to make skypeout calls using their flatrate.

16.09.2009 12:02 bobmats is offline Search for Posts by bobmats Add bobmats to your Buddy List
i-p
Super Moderator

Lampe RE: asterisk / skype Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

As a start we will connect to Skype contacts by adding "@skype" to their Skype names. Calls will be limited to 3 minutes initially. The callee needs to allow anonymous callers.

To activate the update the red bar has to be clicked once (appears after saving a setting).

26.09.2009 13:42 i-p-tel is offline Search for Posts by i-p-tel Add i-p-tel to your Buddy List
bob

thanks for the info.

Am just not sure how I can add an extension that will call skype.

in extensions under dial I tried: skypeusername@skype but that does not seem to work.

Did add a phone number in phonebook contact but would like to dial a number as all my phones a regular phone not softphones.

05.10.2009 11:01 bobmats is offline Search for Posts by bobmats Add bobmats to your Buddy List
i-p
Super Moderator

Try adding it as a classical extension.

05.10.2009 20:56 i-p-tel is offline Search for Posts by i-p-tel Add i-p-tel to your Buddy List
bob

Zitat:
Originally posted by i-p-tel
Try adding it as a classical extension.

tried it.

pstn number: skypeusername@skype

sumbit, pressed red bar, checked back and saw that under pstn number only username is visalbe and @skype is deleted.

05.10.2009 21:50 bobmats is offline Search for Posts by bobmats Add bobmats to your Buddy List
drm

any update regarding this? Calling skype usernames could lead to some very interesting synergies.

30.10.2009 13:28 drmitsos is offline Search for Posts by drmitsos Add drmitsos to your Buddy List
tij
Grünschnabel

Registration Date: 28.10.2007

Zitat:
Originally posted by i-p-tel
As a start we will connect to Skype contacts by adding "@skype" to their Skype names. Calls will be limited to 3 minutes initially. The callee needs to allow anonymous callers.

To activate the update the red bar has to be clicked once (appears after saving a setting).

Is it really working fine ? I tried and it is not working to me.

01.11.2009 04:09 tijuca is offline Search for Posts by tijuca Add tijuca to your Buddy List
drm

No, it's not working for me.
As bobmats has written, as soon as I press the red bar, the "@skype" postfix is removed from the username in the PSTN extension.

01.11.2009 18:08 drmitsos is offline Search for Posts by drmitsos Add drmitsos to your Buddy List
tij
Grünschnabel

Registration Date: 28.10.2007

Zitat:
Originally posted by drmitsos
No, it's not working for me.
As bobmats has written, as soon as I press the red bar, the "@skype" postfix is removed from the username in the PSTN extension.

Ok. thanks for your answer, but I`m still waiting the answer from Ip-Tel.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tij on 01.11.2009 at 22:02.

01.11.2009 22:02 tijuca is offline Search for Posts by tijuca Add tijuca to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »  
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to: