PBXes » English » Miscellaneous » RE: Calling and receiving calls from external sip addresses
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
cyb
Grünschnabel

Registration Date: 22.07.2006

UPDATED INFO: Calling and receiving calls from external sip addresses Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

I would like to call and receive calls from a business we work with who also use voip (not on pbxes) for their calls. What do I need to set up to be able to call their pbx (or extension) over sip (i.e. not over pstn) and what information do I need to give them?

The FAQ says
Zitat:
For reaching SIP addresses on external servers not registered to I have added an option. It's available under the Device Options of a SIP extension and called "dial". Try putting your SIP address there, e.g. sip/21488@fwd.pulver.com. Since this is an advanced option it only appears when editing an existing extension.
but it don't fully understand this.

Do I put their sip address in that field or do I put my sip extension there? Any help appreciated.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by cyb on 17.05.2011 at 11:05.

10.05.2011 17:17 cyberdude is offline Search for Posts by cyberdude Add cyberdude to your Buddy List
Dia
Premium Account

Registration Date: 03.03.2006

RE: Calling and receiving calls from external sip addresses Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

To make this as easy as possible, start by asking them what kind of IP-PBX they have, so we can try to figure out if it supports calls via SIP URIs.

In addition, is their IP-PBX reachable over a Public IP, or is it hidden behind a NAT router?

10.05.2011 22:47 Diafora is offline Search for Posts by Diafora Add Diafora to your Buddy List
cyb
Grünschnabel

RE: Calling and receiving calls from external sip addresses Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

Thanks for replying. I'll get back with the information.

11.05.2011 12:17 cyberdude is offline Search for Posts by cyberdude Add cyberdude to your Buddy List
Dia
Premium Account

Registration Date: 03.03.2006

When you do, you can edit your previous message, or reply to this.

12.05.2011 01:06 Diafora is offline Search for Posts by Diafora Add Diafora to your Buddy List
cyb
Grünschnabel

EDIT RE: Calling and receiving calls from external sip addresses Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

OK, I have some information back.

The PBX they are running is AsteriskNOW, it is behind a NAT Router but the ports for SIP/RTP are forwarded through. They say I should be able to call them on sip:99@81.174.999.999. (I've masked some of the numbers with 9s)

I would really appreciate if you could explain how I can make calls to that uri from our pbxes account and how they can call us. We are using DECT phones connected to voip ports on a Draytek Vigor router if that makes any difference.

EDIT: Anyone able to help with this please? Diafora, was the information I provided useful?

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by cyb on 17.05.2011 at 11:04.

12.05.2011 12:49 cyberdude is offline Search for Posts by cyberdude Add cyberdude to your Buddy List
baz

Registration Date: 01.01.1970

well, no one's replied so I'll take a guess at an answer..

create a sip extension and give it a name, then save it
go back in to the extension, where it says "dial" change it to be SIP/99@81.174.999.999 (or wahtever the real IP is), then save it.
You should be able to dial that extension and it will go to that address

like I said, I'm just guessing... it might work!

17.05.2011 16:26 bazmercer is offline Search for Posts by bazmercer Add bazmercer to your Buddy List
cyb
Grünschnabel

Thanks for replying. I tried as you suggested but I get a message saying "The number you have dialled is not in service. Please check the number and try again." So I'm not sure if this is because the route is being blocked by their NAT (although they say SIP and RTP is forwarded through) or if something else is blocking it.

Would it be useful if I ran a sip trace?

EDIT: What URI should I give them so they can call me?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by cyb on 18.05.2011 at 09:23.

18.05.2011 09:22 cyberdude is offline Search for Posts by cyberdude Add cyberdude to your Buddy List
baz

You need to create an inbound route for the sip address, set the trunk as the extension, e.g cyberdude-101

actually, i found a previous post that answers outbound calling

http://www1.pbxes.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=956&sid=

It says you need to use the fqdn

18.05.2011 17:55 bazmercer is offline Search for Posts by bazmercer Add bazmercer to your Buddy List
cyb
Grünschnabel

Ok, I'm not sure I follow you 100%.

For the inbound call I have set up an inbound route as follows:
Under Edit Incoming Route heading:
Trunk: cyberdude-201
Under Set Destination heading:
Extension: set to 201
Everything else left blank or as default. Is that correct?

For the outbound call I have:
Created a new extension, added a display name and entered 60@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in the sip uri field.
So you (and the thread you linked to) are saying that 60@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx will not work as it must be in fqdn format, i.e. 60@somedomain.com.

20.05.2011 07:39 cyberdude is offline Search for Posts by cyberdude Add cyberdude to your Buddy List
baz

Hi

Yes that's how my extension is setup.

the outbound route sounds ok too, do either work?

20.05.2011 10:56 bazmercer is offline Search for Posts by bazmercer Add bazmercer to your Buddy List
cyb
Grünschnabel

OK thanks for confirming. I still need to get the fqdn for my outboud as I only have the ip address at the moment.

Haven't tried the inbound yet. Will try everything again next week.

Thanks for the help so far.

21.05.2011 07:46 cyberdude is offline Search for Posts by cyberdude Add cyberdude to your Buddy List

Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to: