PBXes » English » Bugs » RE: Telephones Down!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
mil

Registration Date: 01.01.1970
Telephones Down! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

PBXes DOWN - Please Investigate

15.12.2009 21:23 millc is offline Search for Posts by millc Add millc to your Buddy List
cc

RE: Telephones Down! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

Zitat:
Originally posted by millc
PBXes DOWN - Please Investigate

Same for me *sigh* So much for failover and redundancy.

Man, I'm using them for a 1 person shop and it's killing me with all their downtime. How do companies that rely on them for 10+ phones tolerate this amount of downtime. Anyone actually measure pbxes downtime for the past 3 months?

BTW, the status pages says everything is great.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by cc on 15.12.2009 at 21:43.

15.12.2009 21:39 cc is offline Search for Posts by cc Add cc to your Buddy List
dan
Soho Account

Registration Date: 07.07.2007

RE: Telephones Down! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

i have the same problem, and i cant change to other server, my account is stuck or something

15.12.2009 22:30 danylati is offline Search for Posts by danylati Add danylati to your Buddy List
i-p
Super Moderator

Registration Date: 14.01.2006

There was a short interruption on www2 at 3:30 am Pacific Time. After a grace period of 8 hours accounts were switched back to it.

At the time you reported an error after 1:00 pm Pacific Time our monitoring system did not report any errors.

15.12.2009 22:41 i-p-tel is offline Search for Posts by i-p-tel Add i-p-tel to your Buddy List
cc

Zitat:
Originally posted by i-p-tel
There was a short interruption on www2 at 3:30 am Pacific Time. After a grace period of 8 hours accounts were switched bach to it.

At the time you reported an error after 1:00 pm Pacific Time our monitoring system did not report any errors. This issue rather seems like a partial outage of Internet connectivity.

my account is still down. When I go to the status widget it says "Error loading configuration file variables.txt?aldope=33521".

All calls go to busy.

2009-12-15 13:45:07 "blah" <1858205xxxx> 120 alpha3.call­centric.com ext-local Busy 00:00:00

Also, I just wanted to point out that the initial failover to www4 worked - it was the switch back to www2 that has caused issues for me.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by cc on 15.12.2009 at 22:48.

15.12.2009 22:47 cc is offline Search for Posts by cc Add cc to your Buddy List
Dia
Premium Account

Registration Date: 03.03.2006

The www2 (San Diego) server seems to have an issue, even though it doesn't show up on the Status page. I have reported this to the proper individuals and one of them should look into it shortly.

For companies or individuals using PBXes as a production hosted PBX service, the geographic diversity provided by 6 servers, allow them to setup two or more PBXes accounts on different servers, and setup their SIP phones to register on all of them.

Most ITSPs allow multiple registrations on their SIP Proxies, so incoming calls can be sent simultaneously to different servers, thus minimizing the possibility of missing out on inbound calls. This is the proper way to build redundancy with PBXes, or any other hosted SaaS offering.

If anyone is interested in this, we are here to help, advice, and set it up properly if we have to.

15.12.2009 22:52 Diafora is offline Search for Posts by Diafora Add Diafora to your Buddy List
i-p
Super Moderator

We found problems on www2 and are looking into them now.

15.12.2009 23:01 i-p-tel is offline Search for Posts by i-p-tel Add i-p-tel to your Buddy List
mil

"For companies or individuals using PBXes as a production hosted PBX service, the geographic diversity provided by 6 servers, allow them to setup two or more PBXes accounts on different servers, and setup their SIP phones to register on all of them.

Most ITSPs allow multiple registrations on their SIP Proxies, so incoming calls can be sent simultaneously to different servers, thus minimizing the possibility of missing out on inbound calls. This is the proper way to build redundancy with PBXes, or any other hosted SaaS offering.

If anyone is interested in this, we are here to help, advice, and set it up properly if we have to."

-This is a good idea! Is there an easy way to set it up and copy current settings to another account?

15.12.2009 23:03 millc is offline Search for Posts by millc Add millc to your Buddy List
Dia
Premium Account

There is no easy way to do this yet, but even if there was I wouldn't trust it entirely. If the wizard screws up in one setting, you will have to delete everything and start from scratch again.

On the other hand, you might want to start the 2nd account by setting up a couple of DIDs and extensions to test how they behave. Then transition the rest of the setup of the main account.

What would be very useful though, is a diff function which could compare two PBXes accounts and display their differences. That would take the guesswork out of the process.

15.12.2009 23:31 Diafora is offline Search for Posts by Diafora Add Diafora to your Buddy List
mil

Is there any way to back up the settings? That's something helpful to have anyway. Once backed up, one could restore the settings to a new, mirrored account.

If not available as a feature, would you folks do this for a service fee? Our setup is quite comprehensive, and a simple duplication of configuration files is far more efficient than retyping everything.

[As we set up a duplicate account, the system went down again - it's now back up]

Issue in mirroring an account: pbxes does not allow the same trunk to be registered with 2 separate accounts. Do you have a workaround for this? It would be good to have parallel logins (an alternative may be to change trunk passwords during outages, but that's inconvenient)

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by mil on 16.12.2009 at 01:06.

15.12.2009 23:45 millc is offline Search for Posts by millc Add millc to your Buddy List
i-p
Super Moderator

The switch back from www4 to www2 today did not work for 8 accounts. We have corrected the error on the file system of www2.

16.12.2009 00:59 i-p-tel is offline Search for Posts by i-p-tel Add i-p-tel to your Buddy List
i-p
Super Moderator

PRO accounts allow trunks to be shared by several accounts.

Your configuration is backed up. Restoring into another account is not feasible at this time because the account name is a vital part within the configuration.

16.12.2009 01:16 i-p-tel is offline Search for Posts by i-p-tel Add i-p-tel to your Buddy List
mil

Thank you. When 2 accounts use the same trunks, can one set the digital receptionist, where applicable, to pick up with a delay? Otherwise, there will always be a race for pickup by 2 separate accounts.

16.12.2009 17:09 millc is offline Search for Posts by millc Add millc to your Buddy List
Dia
Premium Account

That is indeed a valid concern, and this call scenario should be further tested. In theory, the ITSP's SIP Proxy should drop the call(s) to the 2nd or 3rd IVR(s), once the 1st IVR has answered the call. This might create an issue with redundant accounts hosted on the www1 & www3 servers only, but not for accounts hosted on any other server and the www1 or www3 servers as redundant.

The outcome when using Ring Groups, is for the call to ring the 2 or 3 extensions provisioned on the same IP-phone almost simultaneously, based on how far the IP-phone is located from the different PBXes servers.

On a single IP-phone which supports multiple extensions, an inbound call can only be answered from one of them. The other extension(s) will mark it as a missed call. This might initially confuse users, but they will get used to it if redundancy is important for them. Clearing those missed calls is an area where the Snom phones have a huge advantage over the Linksys and Siemens phones' web based UI.

17.12.2009 08:49 Diafora is offline Search for Posts by Diafora Add Diafora to your Buddy List
mil

On the above topic, there is a workaround: one can select an extension (with ringer off) as the inbound route; after a few seconds, the call forwards to the digital receptionist. The brief delay that gives the primary account time to grab the call is an acceptable compromise.
One problem experienced in the past when using an alternate system as backup was that pbxes would seize (pick up) the call, but not be able to process it during some outages. Possibly one can rectify that by also using the above workaround on all calls; when a failure does happen on the primary line, all that would need to be done is to make the delay shorter on the backup account than on the primary account.

On a related issue: our lines were down again this morning. We are trying to establish the redundancy, but our 2nd account is still going through the initial review before we can upgrade to a premium account. Can you please expedite this manually, so that "millc2" is approved immediately; we can't have these outages on an ongoing basis and don't want to wait a couple extra days before implementing the redundancy.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by mil on 17.12.2009 at 19:01.

17.12.2009 17:50 millc is offline Search for Posts by millc Add millc to your Buddy List
i-p
Super Moderator

We have verified you on "millc2".

To solve the ongoing problems on www2 we replace the server hardware and upgrade RAM very soon. This will result in another short offline period. If longer than 20 minutes accounts will be swapped to www4.

17.12.2009 19:10 i-p-tel is offline Search for Posts by i-p-tel Add i-p-tel to your Buddy List
cc

Zitat:
Originally posted by i-p-tel
We have verified you on "millc2".

To solve the ongoing problems on www2 we replace the server hardware and upgrade RAM very soon. This will result in another short offline period. If longer than 20 minutes accounts will be swapped to www4.

Is the server replacement happening today because www2 is down again. I really hope this solves the issues with www2 because it has been an awful experience to be on that server.

17.12.2009 20:18 cc is offline Search for Posts by cc Add cc to your Buddy List
mil

You write: We have verified you on "millc2".
Thank you; please check the account - the account is verified; we have also submitted payment for the premium account; however, the subscription won't show up. It's been a couple o hours - if I recall correctly, this usually happens almost instantaneously.

17.12.2009 21:09 millc is offline Search for Posts by millc Add millc to your Buddy List
i-p
Super Moderator

The hardware replacement/upgrade has been completed. The upgrade of account millc2 was also delayed for that reason.

17.12.2009 21:32 i-p-tel is offline Search for Posts by i-p-tel Add i-p-tel to your Buddy List
mil

You write: PRO accounts allow trunks to be shared by several accounts.

I just realize that you require PRO, not premium accounts for shared trunks. We currently have 2 premium subscriptions on millc that will likely be upgraded to 3 premium subscriptions in the coming weeks. The backup account just created, millc2, only requires 1 premium subscription.

However, it does not make sense for us to upgrade to PRO; we don't need the features and it is not cost-effective; especially not 2 PRO accounts.

Is there any way you can make trunk sharing part of the premium accounts (or make an exception for us)? It would be most appreciated as we otherwise have to go to a different vendor for the backup solution; that's possible, but is not preferred.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by mil on 17.12.2009 at 23:25.

17.12.2009 23:25 millc is offline Search for Posts by millc Add millc to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »  
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to: