PBXes » English » Providers » RE: Block announcement for Gizmo Project
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
i-p
Super Moderator

Registration Date: 14.01.2006

Block announcement for Gizmo Project Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

Gizmo5, Inc. a VoIP carrier recently violated our copyright held for the Sipdroid application which we made open source under the GPL (GNU Public License).

Gizmo removed the copyright notice and published the software under their name, without making the modified source available (thus breaking the GPL, too).

We believe their action demonstrates highly abominable behavior disrespecting the work of software developers.

Please take notice, that we will start to block Gizmo's network from our servers, within the next 24 hours. We recommend to change your routing to other carriers as soon as possible, if you are a customer of that company and depend on their service.

Thanks for your support and understanding on this matter.

Kindest regards,
i-p-tel GmbH

21.07.2009 01:11 i-p-tel is offline Search for Posts by i-p-tel Add i-p-tel to your Buddy List
pas
Grünschnabel

Registration Date: 03.08.2006

RE: Block announcement for Gizmo Project Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi Pascal,

I understand that you must protect your intellectual property and have my sympathy. But please understand that blocking gizmo5 will penalize lots of people.

Do we need to worry about other providers and be prepared to stop using them on pbxes?

Thanks,

Pasquale

21.07.2009 21:06 pasqualei is offline Search for Posts by pasqualei Add pasqualei to your Buddy List
i-p
Super Moderator

RE: Block announcement for Gizmo Project Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

No, this case is unique.

Michael Robertson, the face behind Gizmo5, seems to have a track record of such incidents. Our decision will depend on our users' feedback and his follow-up on this issue.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Dia on 23.07.2009 at 21:14.

21.07.2009 22:02 i-p-tel is offline Search for Posts by i-p-tel Add i-p-tel to your Buddy List
i-p
Super Moderator

The block has been put in place today.

There was no alternative because Michael Robertson is still refusing to provide a download link for the source code at an acceptable place, thus breaking the GNU License requirements of the open source software he is using.

Even a link placed on his support forum for a few days has been removed.

He makes it all look like an accident, but does not make any corrections.

22.07.2009 20:12 i-p-tel is offline Search for Posts by i-p-tel Add i-p-tel to your Buddy List
i-p
Super Moderator

The missing link for offering the source code has now been added by Gizmo. So we removed the block.

23.07.2009 20:28 i-p-tel is offline Search for Posts by i-p-tel Add i-p-tel to your Buddy List

Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to: