PBXes » English » Terminal Equipment » RE: PBXes and Apple iPhone
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jjp

Registration Date: 01.01.1970
PBXes and Apple Iphone Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi!

Anyone figured out a usable way yet to get pbx to work with an iphone (3g). I have been playing around with Fring which works but it won't run in the background so I always have to leave the program open in order to receive a call. I guess the only alternative would be to jailbreak the thing. Please post any thoughts ideas or experiences you may have with PBX (or voip in general) and the Iphone. Thanks!

08.10.2008 15:18 jjpieper is offline Search for Posts by jjpieper Add jjpieper to your Buddy List
Dia
Premium Account

Registration Date: 03.03.2006

RE: PBXes and Apple iPhone Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

The main issue with the iPhone currently, is the lack of a standardized SIP client tightly integrated with its' OS, like the Nokia SIP client on the Symbian OS handsets.

Fring is a semi-proprietary solution as is SipGate's iPhone application. Until a reliable open source SIP client becomes available, or Apple decides to tightly integrate one with its' OS, the integration of the iPhone with PBXes, or any other SIP Proxy will be a hit or miss experience.

Let's lobby Apple to include a SIP client on the next round of software upgrades for the iPhone, so its' users wont have to jump through hoops for reliable SIP communications.

08.10.2008 17:31 Diafora is offline Search for Posts by Diafora Add Diafora to your Buddy List
i-p
Super Moderator

Registration Date: 14.01.2006

RE: PBXes and Apple Iphone Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

The open-source approach of the Google Phone seems to be more promising. A full SIP integration (like on Nokia S60 devices) will probably become available very soon after the full code will be released this month.

14.10.2008 06:20 i-p-tel is offline Search for Posts by i-p-tel Add i-p-tel to your Buddy List
avo

Registration Date: 01.01.1970
RE: PBXes and Apple Iphone Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

Same like big brother Apple thinking in our place what is the best for us and they do not allowed multitasking. Their argument is battery life coming down. I wanna say "I paid and buy this iphone let me free to think about my battery life."

Anyway if we can't run a program on the background we can not be comfortable to use voip with iphone. Jailbreaking seems a solution to run a voip program such as fring on the background. But it is not stable too. I'd use siax and fring with jailbreaked iphone (with 'backgrounder' program). It is working on the bacground but when I open second program it is closing the first one automatically.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by avo on 07.02.2009 at 01:10.

07.02.2009 01:08 avoxip is offline Search for Posts by avoxip Add avoxip to your Buddy List
Dia
Premium Account

Registration Date: 03.03.2006

RE: PBXes and Apple iPhone Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

Apple is known about their practice of allowing only certain applications to run on the iPhone. This state of affairs is known to anyone who did their homework before purchasing an iPhone.

There are a lot of arguments Apple can bring forward to back their policy, but this does not resolve the issue of a tightly integrated SIP client. So we wait and lobby Apple until they figure out the error in their approach, and don't count on iPhones for SIP usage.

10.02.2009 01:00 Diafora is offline Search for Posts by Diafora Add Diafora to your Buddy List

Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to: