PBXes » English » Miscellaneous » A couple of questions
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dar

Registration Date: 01.01.1970
A couple of questions Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

1. I am using Sipdroid on my mobile phone. (Rooted HTC Hero running Fresh ROM) In the settings I simply have pbxes.com for the server. If I bring up a terminal and ping pbxes.com I get responses from www2.pbxes.com with a response time of about 160Ms. The nearest server for me is actually www4.pbxes.com which, when I ping I get responses in about 90Ms. So the question is; If I simply have pbxes.com in Sipdroid is it hitting www4.pbxes.com or www2.pbxes.com? (I have tried putting the ip address for www4.pbxes.com in Sipdroid and that does not work.)

2. Is there any plans to implement a Jitter Buffer in Sipdroid and Pbxes.com?

I have a paid account and the Improve Audio feature does a great job handling LOST packets, however does nothing for LATE packets. I seldom have a problem with lost packets, however often have about 1% late packets and these could be concealed with a small Jitter Buffer. (Maybe give the user the option to enable/disable it if they are concerned about latency?)

Another reason for implementing a Jitter Buffer....About 98% of my travels are in a CDMA REV A network, however I occasionally travel to CDMA 1X areas These 1X areas give me ping times of about 350ms and increases my late packets to about 5-10%. Again very few LOST packets. Throughput on the 1X network is usually in the range of 200Kbps up and down. (VS about 1Mpbs down and about 800Kpbs up on EVDO REV A) Sipdroid with 5-10% LATE packets is basically unusable. A Jitter Buffer would actually make this usable albeit with about a 1-2 second delay, annoying but livable in a pinch.

Maybe I am missing something, however when on a 1X network Nimbuzz (Using Skype) works with excellent sound quality, so I am pretty certain a Jitter Buffer is all that needed to make this a perfect solution.

17.02.2010 16:13 darylw is offline Search for Posts by darylw Add darylw to your Buddy List

Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to: