PBXes (http://www1.pbxes.com/forum/index.php)
- English (http://www1.pbxes.com/forum/board.php?boardid=16)
-- News (http://www1.pbxes.com/forum/board.php?boardid=17)
--- RE: Google Voice Peering (http://www1.pbxes.com/forum/threadid.php?threadid=1289421168)

Posted by mistere on 30.06.2018 at 19:19:

RE: Google Voice Peering

Hi everybody!

It is my understanding that as of June18, Google will be cutting the strings on their XMPP interop service. Being that PBXes utilizes the XMPP GV Asterisk plugin to trunk to Google Voice accounts, it seems like this feature will stop working...

As of Yesterday (June 29th), I can no longer make outgoing calls via my Google Voice trunk. I simply get a single ring and then 'dead air'. That is, I hear a ring and then the call just sits open, but does not ring the destination phone or give me any ringbacks or anything.

I can, however, still call my GV number and my SIP extension rings and connects the call.

I need to know if this is because of an issue with my PBXes trunk or extension, or if this is just a symptom of Google shutting down their XMPP interop systems.

I am posting here because I think your user base needs to know what the bottom line is, and if you have any plans to add the new Asterisk plugin that Simon and all of us other users have been beta testing with other Asterisk users (mentioned in a number of forums, not sure if it works yet tho).

Please let me (all of us) know what to expect. If this is just a bug with my trunk, and XMPP is still up, we need to know that, too.

Thanks again, it's been a good run!

P.S. The forum seems to be denying me from posting a new reply, so I will add it here; We have come up with some scripts and plugins to allow any Asterisk based system to trunk the new GVSIP protocol. Everybody here might benefit from this discussion and collection of Asterisk code:
http://nerdvittles.com/?p=26204

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32016984-Asterisk-Google-Voice-SIP-testing-and-technical-discussion~start=90

Posted by i-p-tel on 02.07.2018 at 23:18:

Thanks for your update. It seems some numbers don't work (e.g. Google hotline) while others still work for outgoing calls.

Posted by mistere on 02.07.2018 at 23:51:

I seem to be still getting incoming calls okay, when I place a call to my GV number, my SIP extension rings and I can answer the call and converse normally.

If I place an outgoing call from my SIP extension, the other end rings and can accept the call... However it is one-way, the other end can hear me, but I cannot hear them. I have tried dozens of tests on different SIP phones (hardware and software) and re-checked and re-saved my PBXes configurations several times to no avail.

I cannot determine if this is a coincidental bug that happens to time with Google's end of XMPP interop, or if this issue is related to the changes on Google's end.

I would love to keep using this system, as it has worked out pretty well for me to date...

Perhaps I am overlooking something simple and someone can point it out for me.

P.S. I am available and interested in beta testing new interop plugins for Asterisk if I can offer any of my expertise to that effort here...

Posted by i-p-tel on 05.07.2018 at 00:48:

Thanks for your links.

We've got both inbound and outbound working with Google Voice's new SIP interface. GV numbers will be able to be added as SIP trunks to PBXes.

The good news is that you won't need to provide your password anymore. A one-time web authentication will be enough.

Rollout will be within a few days (maybe tomorrow, maybe as late as next week because of the holiday season).

Please stay tuned. We'll open a new thread when it's ready to use.

Posted by plummerr on 06.07.2018 at 03:39:

Hi, I am also experiencing the problem with outbound calls (using Gtalk routing and SIP extension), where they destination caller can hear me, but I can't hear them.

I installed sipdroid on my android device, tried to call a skype number all with the same result.

Is this cockpit error and that requires a configuration modification on my part, a bug and/or is there a work around?

Posted by ecys on 07.07.2018 at 21:10:

This is clearly a system-wide issue with PBXes related to the rollout of GV's new system. I have two different accounts with PBXes for two different businesses. Both are experiencing outgoing trouble exactly as described here: The other person can answer and hear, but I can't hear them. Also, some outgoing calls ring on the receiving phone, but I hear only dead silence.

Posted by mtpricemd on 03.08.2018 at 12:23:

I've only just now become aware of this issue when I tried to use one of my GV numbers that I've not used in a while, that was then no longer working; I thought I had only to log into restart the pbxes service, which usually fixes these sorts of problems, but this time that didn't help. For me, the old GTalk connection no longer works at all, even if I try re-saving it as other replies suggest.

The switchover to the new Google SIP connection didn't work until if I changed my server to www1 (which it should be, New York/New York, closest to me), and seems to work *only* if I'm on that server; if I stay on www4, where I had been, it doesn't work at all, also tried www2 and that doesn't work either (but switch back to www1 makes it work again), and after getting to to work on www1, switching back to www4 broke it again, until I returned to www1.

The first call made from www1 generates an intrusion alert from Google that someone tried to sign into google using my password, but if I verify yes that was me, things seem OK after that (all I've been able to check so far however is that I can dial out and the receiving phone (a 3rd number of my own) will ring, I don't know either way about other problems like one party not being able to hear etc).

The above has been true for 2 different GV numbers, and 2 different pbxes accounts (each GV number attached to its own separate pbxes account, one is used for business, one for personal).