PBXes (http://www1.pbxes.com/forum/index.php)
- English (http://www1.pbxes.com/forum/board.php?boardid=16)
-- News (http://www1.pbxes.com/forum/board.php?boardid=17)
--- RE: Trial period for HD Voice (G.722 vocoder) (http://www1.pbxes.com/forum/threadid.php?threadid=1271977811)

Posted by Diafora on 23.04.2010 at 00:10:

Trial period for HD Voice (G.722 vocoder)

Following some preliminary trials during the past four weeks, we have enabled the G.722 vocoder across all servers, on a trial basis. This permits PBXes' users to experience the advantages of HD voice, if their IP-phone, DECT handset or soft-phone supports the G.722 vocoder, and it is currently activated on their SIP UA.

All ATAs are automatically excluded, as they don't support anything better than G.711, since the telephone sets connected to their FXS ports don't support the additional frequencies required.

During the trial, we wish to monitor how call setup performs, how many SIP UAs will take advantage of it, resolve any lingering issues with it, and judge whether to add it as a permanent feature.

In order to activate the G.722 vocoder in your account, the Software version should be changed to Newest, in the Personal Data section.

Enjoy the newfound clear-crystal sound.

Posted by bobmats on 23.04.2010 at 10:08:

RE: Trial period for HD Voice (G.722 vocoder)

have a fritzbox 7270 that support g722-hd and works very well.

When calling an internal number attached to the same box the g722-hd codec is selected on both ends.

When using voicetrading on an external trunk I can see in the fritzbox that g722-hd is selected. That said when calling on of my extensions not on the fritzbox 7270 but on an 7050 I see that the incoming phone works at g711u and I believe voicetrading is also not supporting g722-hd.

Does this mean that only from by fritzbox 7270 till pbxes it supports g722hd and after that it's converted to g711u.

Is there still a benifit for selecting g722u when the rest of the call uses a different codec.

Posted by Diafora on 23.04.2010 at 12:38:

The answer to your question "Does this mean that only from by fritzbox 7270 till PBXes it supports G.722 and after that it's converted to G.711u" the case is exactly as you wrote it. This can also be verified going through the entries in your System Log.

As such, use of the G.722 is pointless when dialing PSTN calls, since it is almost impossible for the PSTN side to allow use of higher frequencies. So setting the order of vocoders to G.722 first, G.729 second and G.711 third on your SIP UAs, covers all the cases.

As a side note, the Fritz!Box 7270 is an exception to the ATA rule, since the G.722 vocoder is only active if you use a DECT handset associated with the 7270's built-in DECT base to dial and answer calls, but not when using an analog phone connected to its' FXS ports.

In addition, in order to experience the full effect of the HD voice feature, the DECT handsets associated with the built-in DECT base of the 7270, have to be HD enabled as well. This means, their microphone and speaker(s) should have the ability to capture the expanded set of frequencies HD voice requires. A regular DECT handset can certainly be associated with the 7270's DECT base, but it will not be able to capture and reproduce the full spectrum of sound the G.722 vocoder makes available to us.

Posted by bobmats on 23.04.2010 at 14:37:

Correct I called and old anolog tel attached to fon1 on the fritzbox 7270 and this uses the 711u codec.

I have some t-home (siemens) dect connected to fritzbox and when checking they use the g722 codec.

Under the dect part in the fritzbox you can analyse the dect setting. This shows the codec used, frequency and some other stuff.
I even had a bluetooth headset connected to one of the siemens dect phones and I could hear the difference.

All in all it's very nice but use is very limited at the moment.

Another question. Is there no problem if the whole call uses different codecs. The dect phones on the fritzbox 7270 can use 772-hd but the rest of the call is different codec. Can this give problems ?

Posted by tijuca on 24.04.2010 at 00:53:

That`s a good feature. I`m testing and works very well. I think that is time for this feature of this link , Notification of Missed Calls http://www1.pbxes.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=1747&sid=

I really will love it like HD Voice.

Thank you all from Pbxes.

Tony

Rio de Janeiro/Brasil

Posted by Diafora on 24.04.2010 at 22:39:

@bobmats: It depends on which network element is doing the transcoding. Ideally we strive to avoid transcoding, since it introduces slight delays, sound artifacts etc, but sometimes it is unavoidable.

Posted by bobmats on 25.04.2010 at 16:02:

Did some more testing and have major problems now.

Main router is a frtizbox 7050 does not support 722-hd.
Attached to a lan port is a fritzbox 7270 supports 722-hd.

When I set everything to stable everything works perfectly.

When I set to 722-hd al calls on the 7270 work fine.
Call taken on the 7050 are garbled in 1 directing. This means I can hear the other party but they can hardly hear me. It does not matter if the incoming call is from extension to extension or from a trunk on the 7050 the other party can't hear me. Seems like an encoding problem.

Could it be that if you select 722-hd all extensions need to have g722 enabled ?

Posted by Diafora on 26.04.2010 at 00:14:

Why are you wasting two perfectly good routers by using one as an ATA and DECT base, instead of a fully capable router? The issue you are referring to, might be related to incomplete NAT traversal. Try connecting the Fritz!Box 7270 directly to your ADSL line, and verify if all your issues are resolved.

Regarding your question, every extension advertises in its' SDP part of the Invite, all the vocoders it has access to. There is a built-in vocoder selection process the SIP protocol uses, via which a common vocoder is selected for every call. No additional tweaking is needed, except the possible reordering in the list of vocoders, if the SIP UA allows reordering.

Posted by bobmats on 26.04.2010 at 08:23:

I am on cable so I can't use the dsl modem in the fritzbox. I have used the dsl modem in the fritzbox ion another location in the past and it sucks. I would never use the dsl modem in the fritzbox but alsways place a good dsl modem in bridge in front of the fritzbox.

I did indeed bought the 7270 to be the main router but wanted to test it first before I switched. That said not the 7270 is positioned on the top floor which give me far beter dect coverage as if I where to place it at the access point of my kabelmodem.

For now the 7050 is the main router and when switching pbxes to 722-hd support the problems start on phones connected to the 7050 analog ports. As said I can clearly hear the other party but they can hardly hear me. I don't understand what my setup has to do with this. The 7050 does select g711 codec but somehow there are problems. whenever I switch back to stable at pbxes everything wroks perfect.

so very simple if I select g722 on pbxes I have problems if I select stable everything works.

Conclusion pbxes is creating a problem. That said g722 support is experimental so this might explain my problems and seems that it is not working perfectly.

Posted by Diafora on 27.04.2010 at 12:16:

Although I understand the reasons you have setup your network the way you have, using two routers in line creates an unnecessary burden of NAT traversal for every network element in your LAN. This might work properly with PC applications but will likely create issues for VoIP devices.

Having said that, if you wish to troubleshoot this issue further, temporarily eliminate the Fritz!Box 7050 from acting as the main router, and setup the Fritz!Box 7270 in a similar manner as the 7050 is setup currently. If the problem disappears, then we can conclude it was related to your LAN setup. If not, than it is likely a PBXes issue, we should look into.

In the case the issue is resolved by using the 7270 as the your router, to enhance its' DECT coverage, you might want to look into DECT repeaters which regenerate the signal of the main base.

Posted by tijuca on 05.05.2010 at 19:19:

This feature is great, but it is not working fine when I call *43 ( Eco test)

Posted by i-p-tel on 10.06.2010 at 01:01:

Thank you all for your large attendance testing G722 HD Voice.

We are now ending the free trial. Starting today HD Voice may be controlled from General Settings (paid accounts only).