PBXes » English » Feature Requests »
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
sky

Registration Date: 01.01.1970
ip adres of extensions Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

is there somehow a method to know what the last known ip was of a registered extension?

I tried with "sipsak accountname-extension@pbxes.org" but I only get timeouts unglücklich

15.12.2006 12:33 skynetbbs is offline Search for Posts by skynetbbs Add skynetbbs to your Buddy List
Dia
Premium Account

Registration Date: 03.03.2006

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hey, can you expand a little bit on this?

15.12.2006 20:26 Diafora is offline Search for Posts by Diafora Add Diafora to your Buddy List
sky

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information Go to the top of this page

In the status page you only see "green" rectangles mentioning registered ip devices...
is it possible to know their ipadresses?

I tried using their "sip:\\"... but I always ended up with the ip of the pbxes itself and not the device that registered itself as such

20.12.2006 15:35 skynetbbs is offline Search for Posts by skynetbbs Add skynetbbs to your Buddy List
Dia
Premium Account

If I understand what you want correctly, your requirement is for the current IP of the SIP extension to be displayed in the Status page.

So that wouldn't apply to Classic extensions obvioulsy, or to extensions which are no longer registered, unless the last known address is shown.

Now the part which I don't understand. Where and how did you use "sipsak" and "sip:\\"?

Also what are you trying to achieve by getting the IP info in the Status display? It might be cool to look at, but is there a specific application which you have in mind?

21.12.2006 06:05 Diafora is offline Search for Posts by Diafora Add Diafora to your Buddy List
sky

>Now the part which I don't understand. Where and how did you use "sipsak" and "sip:\\"?

I just tried that in a linux box with sipsak compiled...
I'd figure that with sip & presence server & 'email'-like adressing you can do a sort of nslookup on someones sipadress and find out where he's registered... and to perform a direct sip-call from A to B...
But Pbxes is some kind of Back to Back sip user agent and will always give his ip adress and not that of B... so you always have to go by Pbxes... only the RTP stream could be bypassed if configured on pbxes...and perhaps then I could locate someones ipadres if he answers the phone...(or his fax does :-) instead of the voicemail system of pbxes...

Something like they had in icq/msn ... in current stadium you have to send a 2mbyte file to get their direct ipadress...all others are forwarded via Microsoft servers unglücklich

The implementation, the why/how?
I can't see my ipadress on my gprs/wifi mobile for instance; and some/alot of people have an extension at home...dynamic ip's... and to find their traffic on eg firewall logs?
Dunno if you can "fork" a connection on pbxes? I believe sip was able to have 1 sipaccount registered by multiple devices which could ring/register/reinvate as one... but in practice... the one that registered last shall be used?

21.12.2006 11:23 skynetbbs is offline Search for Posts by skynetbbs Add skynetbbs to your Buddy List
Dia
Premium Account

I will try to comment on some of the things you brought up starting from the end. Please correct me if I misunderstood something.

SIP forking is supported by PBXes in the form of Ring Groups and Queues. An incoming call sent to a Ring Group or Queue allows any extension in it to pickup the call.

PBXes can act both as a SIP Proxy as well as a B2BUA depending on a few parameters. When calling from extension to extension, if both of them support re-invites (audio bypass set to Yes), then the remote IP can be seen on a trace, since the RTP packets bypass the proxy completely.

The requirement for the above scenario, is for the other party to pickup the phone. If they don't and the call ends up in VM, you are out of luck. Once you have their IP though, you can make a call directly to their device.

The question is, why you would go through all that trouble, if they already have a registered extension on PBXes. If their extension is no longer registered, chances are their UA is offline so even a direct call to it will not complete.

Having said that, I can see the value of displaying the IP of every SIP extension for troubleshooting purposes. We can avoid setting up a packet trace just to discover the IP of a UA, so we can ping it to determine the current packet loss. Or asking the user at the other side for their IP.

Pascal can you please comment on the feasibility of this request? It can make our lives easier, while the information is already available.

22.12.2006 05:47 Diafora is offline Search for Posts by Diafora Add Diafora to your Buddy List

Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to: